You’ve rushed out of the house again, only to realise that you’ve forgotten to put any deodorant on. Nevermind, you say to yourself. You jump in your car and head to your appointment, only to hit standstill traffic and you realise that you’ve hardly got any fuel in the car. Yet again, you’re having a shit day!
So, what can you do when it gets too much? STOP! BREATHE, and ask yourself these questions:
- Why am I feeling overwhelmed? Acknowledging the fact that you’re feeling overwhelmed can help calming you down.
- Am I really busy, or does it just feel as I am? Busy-ness is a state of mind, yet most of us measure busy-ness by the amount of work we have to do. No matter how much or how little we’re doing, it’s how we interpret the work that creates the sense of being busy.
- What is my priority here? What ever it is you need to get done, something will take priority over something else.
- Do I have to do it all myself? Honestly, delegate more at work and at home, and free your time for the stuff you enjoy.
- What would it take for me to just say NO? Who are you afraid of disappointing? Ultimately, you’re only letting yourself down; and if you don’t care for yourself, who will?