I don’t know about you, but there are times when I try to get others to make sense in my world and do things that make me happy; and how challenging can that be?! The point is, of course everyone else isn’t here to make me happy. But do I really believe that? How often do I find myself annoyed by someone else’s behavior? How often do I judge people for not being like me? I do like to think of myself as a open-minded, accepting person, but when I stop and think about it, I realize that I’m probably not as accepting of others as I would like to believe. So what’s a non-accepting girl like me to do? To live a more positive and present life, to increase my happiness and the happiness of others, I better start accepting others as soon as possible. Here’s how I’m going to get started.
5 Ways To Accept Others As They Are
- Watch your thoughts. Think about what you’re thinking about. I’m going to work on paying more attention to my thoughts and do my best to push them in a non-judgmental, more accepting direction.
- Look for the positive. In my job as a trainer, I do find this challenging. Not accepting others is a result of seeing the negative in them. I’m going to focus on what’s good about that person and his/her choices and actions.
- Stop judging yourself. Our judgments of others are often a result of our personal criticisms. If I stop putting pressure on myself to do things the “right” way, I’ll also stop putting pressure on others as well. Not judging myself or others is an important step to acceptance.
- Focus on the now. I’m not going to think about what happened before and try to live in the present.
- Reverse the situation. What if someone were judging me and not accepting me? How would I feel? I’ll keep these questions in mind the next time I’m not accepting others.
I clearly do have a lot of work to do here, especially those closest to me. It’s so easy to abstractly think of yourself as an accepting person, but when it comes to your daily interactions, really pay attention to them and ask yourself if you are accepting others as they are. The only way to live a positive and present life is to accept what is, something you certainly can’t do if you don’t accept others for who they are.
What are your thoughts?